Monday, August 4, 2008

Ramble at your own risk! BEWARE! People may actually read it! 04Aug08

For punishment, I often read CNN.com, MSNBC.com and if I've been really naughty, FoxNews.com.

On one of those sites I read an article about how medical students could be doing "damage" to their careers by posting photos of themselves on the MySpace or FaceBook or whatever else.

Really? 

Because frankly, how many people expect their doctor to be a robot who has never been photographed, never socialized online, never done anything resembling fun ever ever ever? A show of hands please? 

I didn't think so.

Now, it's one thing to be photographed burning a cross and wearing a big white hood and expect to have ethnically diverse clients. But if that is who you really are, by all means, BE who you really are. I'm sure black patients would rather know you're a bigot in order to avoid seeking your services. You'd be doing them and yourself a favor. Same goes for the ObGyn who might post photos of himself with a "No Fat Chicks" t-shirt. Sure as the sun rises, I would not want to have him for a doctor, so if he discloses that on his MySpace (and who checks our their doctor on MySpace anyway) then this is information that helps me very much in my decision making.

Why all the paranoia about what we do online? Is this somehow worse than what we do in person? Because frankly, if there's a witness, then it's history you can't erase, whether it's stored digitally or in someone's memory. A digital record is at least typically more reliable than a memory... less open for debate, all things considered and if the data has not been manipulated or altered.

Should I be paranoid about what I do online? Heck no. What I do here I would do anywhere. Why does it matter if it's preserved in text and photos? Some of this stuff I don't want to forget. This serves as a great record of good times I've had and fun people I know. Even if I were going to be a doctor, I would not change a thing. 

Don't misunderstand me to say that I think someone should act however the fuck they want in whatever company. I do believe in manners and respect and certain social standards. But that's mostly a matter of common sense. Don't swear in front of your grandparents. Don't wear low-rise jeans exposing your purple glitter thong to your office unless your boss is Hugh Hefner. Chew with your mouth closed. Say 'please' and 'thank you' when it's appropriate. Simple stuff.

But don't hide under your bed and think you've ruined your life because you were photographed holding a beer at a pub with some friends. I'm relatively sure at some point in history, at least one successful doctor has had a beer or been in a pub.

People who are paranoid and freaking out about things they've done or said online should perhaps evaluate who they are in person. Why do they feel like they have to be different where the interwebs is concerned? The best person you can be is who you ARE. Own it. No one is perfect, including you. So say 'fuck it' and have a life you enjoy and share that life with the people who matter to you. 

Don't let the media's fear mongering bully you away from being yourself. No one likes it when the bully wins. 

Screw you, medical-student-online-life-study-people! Quit snooping around on other people and find your own way to post drunken slack-jaw photos of yourself online. Maybe if you weren't acting all super spy online, you'd actually have drunken fun worthy of photographing!

Pfffffttttt!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment